One of the most popular campgrounds
2017 Dates – Opens: May 26, 2017 | Closes: September 24, 2017 | Approved Summer 2017 Rate: $29.00
Site types: Tent, RV, ADA, and combination RV/tent
Canyon Village Campground is located within a mile of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, and is one of the most popular campgrounds. The Canyon Campground is a favorite due to its wooded setting and relatively central location within Yellowstone Park. There are several ways to access the Grand Canyon from the campground. The North Rim Drive provides turnouts and several overlook access points as well as a few views of the stunning Lower Falls. Along the south rim, Artist’s Point overlook and Uncle Tom’s Trail are two other popular points of interest for views of the canyon and waterfalls.
GPS Coordinates to Canyon Campground Check-In: N 44 44.118 W110 29 17
Specifics About Canyon Campground
The Canyon Campground has over 270 individual sites but no group sites. Sites range from partly shady to more sunny. RV, tent and combination RV/tent sites are available. Sites for hikers and cyclists are also available. All campsites have a picnic table and fire grate. Water is accessible nearby the sites. Campground facilities include:
- 15 public restrooms with flush toilets and faucets with cold running water
- Dishwashing stations are located at most restroom buildings
- Pay showers and laundry facilities located in Canyon Campground Camper Services
- Rates for this campground include 2 showers per night
When calling to make a reservation be prepared to give the size of your tent (in feet) or the combined length of your RV and any other vehicles or towed vehicles. (e.g. the length of your truck in addition to the length of your trailer when fully open.)
- Campground rates are per night, for up to six people or one family (parents with dependent children) and do not include taxes and utility fee.
- Campground sites that will accommodate a maximum combined length of 40-feet or more are limited.
Please keep in mind that most campsites in Yellowstone will not accommodate oversize units. If you arrive at the campground/RV park with equipment different than that for which you have reserved, we will not be able to accommodate you.
Rates include two showers per night. Rates do not include taxes and utility fee. Rates and dates are subject to change. Interagency Access and Senior Pass discounts are applicable at this campground. Hiker/biker, per person $7.75.
RV Guests at Canyon Campground
RVs up to 40 feet long may be accommodated in pull-through and back-in sites. The sites may not be level, so campers should plan accordingly. While there are no utility hook-ups at the sites, an RV dump station is available in the campground. The dump station may not be available early and late season due to freezing temperatures. Pay showers and coin laundry are available at the Camper Services facility. Rates for this campground include 2 showers per night.
Other Services Located At or Nearby Canyon Campground
- The campground is located within one-quarter mile of the Canyon Village, a visitor facility that includes lodges, a full service restaurant, cafeteria, snack shop/deli, gift shop, general store with groceries, gas station and post office.
- The National Park Service offers a new state-of-the-art Visitor Education Center and amphitheater with exhibits and Ranger programs available.
- Interdenominational church services provided by a Christian Ministry in the National Parks are offered on Sundays at the amphitheater.
Important General Guidelines for Yellowstone Campgrounds
- All campgrounds operated by Yellowstone National Park Lodges have restrooms with cold water and flush toilets.
- Coin-operated ice and soft drink machines, and recycling and refuse containers are located nearby.
- Individual campsites have one picnic table and one fire grate (except at Fishing Bridge RV Park-which has neither).
- Group campsites have one picnic table and one fire grate for approximately every six people and are for tent camping only. Showers are not included in group campsite rates.
- Firewood is sold at all campgrounds except Fishing Bridge RV Park.
- Food storage regulations are strictly enforced at all campgrounds.
- Per NPS regulations, generators may not exceed 60 decibels.
- Sites that accommodate RVs at Canyon, Bridge Bay, Grant Village, and Madison campgrounds are either pull-through or back-in with limited width for slide-outs and MAY NOT BE LEVEL; please plan accordingly.
- Some sites are shaded while others are in open areas.
- All sites at Fishing Bridge RV Park are back-in sites, located in an open area surrounded by a pine forest.
- The Interagency Access and Senior Pass is applicable for discounted rates (50%) at all Yellowstone campgrounds except Fishing Bridge RV Park.
See the Park Without Moving the Rig
You can book tours in advance though our reservations office by calling 1-866-GEYSERLAND or at the activities desk located at the campground registration office. The following guided tours have a pick-up point at the Canyon Lodge Registration Office:
Food At Your Campground
Please note that odors attract bears. The following items (new, clean, dirty, empty or full) may NOT be left outside, in tents, or in tent trailers at any time, day or night. Items listed below need to be stored in a hard sided vehicle or in shared food storage boxed located throughout our campgrounds when not in use. A violation of these rules may result in a citation and/or confiscation of these items. The bears’ future and the safety of others depend on you.
- Water containers
- Cooking utensils
- Eating utensils
- Drinking utensils
- Beverage containers
- Ice chests
- Trash or trash bags (in the site or fire pit)
- Pet food
- Pet food bowls
- Pet water bowls
- Wash basins
- Any item with food odor
Picnicking & Fast Foods
Picnic meals, fast food, and deli lunches are available from our restaurants and snack shops. Please inquire at any Xanterra Parks & Resorts food service outlet. Yellowstone National Park features several picnic locations. View National Park Service picnic guidelines and locations for additional information.
Dining in the Park
There are no specific dining facilities located at the campground. Dining facilities are, however, available throughout the park, ranging from fine dining restaurants to snack shops and cafeterias. Dinner reservations are required at the fine dining facilities. Inquire at any lodging front desk or dining room host stand when you arrive at the park. We recommend you enjoy the following Yellowstone National Park Lodges Restaurants and Cafeterias that are located nearby this campground: