Great fishing and a convenient location
2015 Estimated Dates – Opens: May 1, 2015 | Closes: October 18, 2015 | Rate: $21.50
Site types: Tent, RV, ADA, and combination RV/tent
Madison Campground is named for its proximity to the Madison River, which runs through the area in a lush mountain setting rich in wildlife. Madison Campground is at an elevation of 6,800’ and is set in a partly wooded area, with a variety of mostly sunny to mostly shaded sites. The area is known for its great fishing and convenient location with regards to Old Faithful and the Upper, Midway and Lower Geyser Basins.
GPS Coordinates to Madison Campground Check-In: N 44 38.725 W 110 51.687
Specifics About Madison Campground
There are over 270 individual sites and 3 group sites. The campground can accommodate RVs and tents. Campsites for hikers and cyclists are also available. Each site includes a picnic table and fire grate. Access to water is nearby the sites. Additional campground facilities include:
- 14 public restrooms with flush toilets and faucets with cold running water
- Dishwashing stations are located at most restroom buildings
- Although pay showers are not available on the premises, they are available at Old Faithful Inn (16 miles away) and at West Yellowstone (14 miles away)
- Rates for this campground do not include showers
When calling to make a reservation be prepared to give the size of your tent (in feet) or the combined length of your RV and any other vehicles or towed vehicles. (e.g. the length of your truck in addition to the length of your trailer when fully open.)
- Campground rates are per night, for up to six people or one family (parents with dependent children) and do not include taxes and utility fee.
- Campground sites that will accommodate a maximum combined length of 40-feet or more are limited.
Most campsites in Yellowstone will not accommodate oversize units. Please note: if you arrive at the campground/RV Park with equipment different than that for which you have reserved, we will not be able to accommodate you. Also, please note that all rates are subject to change without notice.
Rates do not include taxes and utility fee. Rates and dates are subject to change. Interagency Access Pass and Senior Pass holders receive a 50% discount on site rates. Hiker/biker, per person $7.00.
RV Guests at Madison Campground
RVs up to 40’ long may be accommodated in pull-through and back-in sites. The sites may not be level, so campers should plan accordingly. While there are no utility hook-ups at the sites, an RV dump station is available at the campground. The dump station may not be available early and late season due to freezing temperatures.
Other Services Located At or Nearby Madison Campground
- Nearest services are sixteen miles away at the Old Faithful Area, or fourteen miles away in West Yellowstone at the West Entrance.
- At Old Faithful Village, guests will find restaurants, a cafeteria, quick service food outlets, gift shops, clinic, tours, a general store with groceries, and gas stations.
- The nearby National Park Service amphitheater has a variety of nightly Ranger programs.
- Interdenominational church services provided by a Christian Ministry in the National Parks are offered on Sundays at the amphitheatre.
- Fishing licenses are available for sale at this campground.
Important General Guidelines for Yellowstone Campgrounds
- All campgrounds operated by Yellowstone National Park Lodges have restrooms with cold water and flush toilets.
- Coin-operated ice and soft drink machines, and recycling and refuse containers are located nearby.
- Individual campsites have one picnic table and one fire grate (except at Fishing Bridge RV Park-which has neither).
- Group campsites have one picnic table and one fire grate for approximately every six people and are for tent camping only. Showers are not included in group campsite rates.
- Firewood is sold at all campgrounds except Fishing Bridge RV Park.
- Food storage regulations are strictly enforced at all campgrounds.
- Sites that accommodate RVs at Canyon, Bridge Bay, Grant Village, and Madison campgrounds are either pull-through or back-in with limited width for slide-outs and MAY NOT BE LEVEL; please plan accordingly.
- Some sites are shaded while others are in open areas.
- All sites at Fishing Bridge RV Park are back-in sites, located in an open area surrounded by a pine forest.
- The Interagency Access and Senior Pass is applicable for discounted rates (50%) at all Yellowstone campgrounds except Fishing Bridge RV Park.
Food At Your Campground
Please note that odors attract bears. The following items (new, clean, dirty, empty or full) may NOT be left outside, in tents, or in tent trailers at any time, day or night. Items listed below need to be stored in a hard sided vehicle or in shared food storage boxed located throughout our campgrounds when not in use. A violation of these rules may result in a citation and/or confiscation of these items. The bears’ future and the safety of others depend on you.
- Water containers
- Cooking utensils
- Eating utensils
- Drinking utensils
- Beverage containers
- Ice chests
- Trash or trash bags (in the site or fire pit)
- Pet food
- Pet food bowls
- Pet water bowls
- Wash basins
- Any item with food odor
Picnicking & Fast Foods
Picnic meals, fast food, and box lunches are available from our restaurants and snack shops. Please inquire at any Xanterra Parks & Resorts food service outlet. Yellowstone National Park features several picnic locations. View National Park Service picnic guidelines and locations for additional information.
Dining in the Park
There are no specific dining facilities located at the campground. Dining facilities are, however, available throughout the park, ranging from fine dining restaurants to snack shops and cafeterias. Dinner reservations are required at the fine dining facilities. Inquire at any lodging front desk or dining room host stand when you arrive at the park. We recommend you enjoy the following Yellowstone National Park Lodges restaurants and cafeterias that are located nearby this campground: